A popular way to respect our planet is to do activities related to the 4 R’s. They are recycle, reuse, reduce and restore. A simple survey has produced a need for a list related to these concepts. Everyday people need to become more conscious of their environment and learn to use the 4 R’s.
- Recycling can be done in several different ways, not just by sorting the trash.
- Reuse is a concept in need of urgent awareness because landfills are overflowing with reusable containers from water bottles especially.
- Reducing the use of electricity, wasted food, excessive traveling, and several other daily trivial environmentally destructive habits must be done every day.
- The most important R is for restore. The restoration of the biosphere, one ecosystem at a time, will eventually reverse damage done to the environment and Earth will begin to heal.
Using Recycling: Compost Piles
Compost piles are the ultimate source of knowledge for recycling principles. Transforming waste into usable environmentally friendly resources can be accomplished with a properly orchestrated compost pile. Many people are unaware of the recycling efficiency a compost pile brings to a household. A compost pile display can teach others how it works by showing each step of maintaining a properly functioning compost pile. Tips and tricks are helpful for beginners as well. Spread the word any day that recycling awareness is important by performing this activity.
One’s trash is another’s treasure, especially with using this R. Reuse awareness activities are popular because complex tools can be made by reusing one’s trash. Treasures of remarkable application value can be made by proper reuse techniques. It is easy to make a homemade slingshot with an old sock, some rubber bands and a stick; or, to make a small gas chamber with two plastic bottles and study the ideal gas law. Even simple reuse, like refilling a water bottle, does not have enough reuse awareness. Kids love playing with homemade objects and should always have some that display the variety of complex tools that can be made from “trash.”
Using Reducing: The New Paper Route
Scrap paper will never be the same. This is the easiest activity and is loads of fun. Take a big box around the neighborhood and ask neighbors for scrap paper. Make the biggest scrap paper box in history or just get the neighbors aware of the paper waste they can be reducing by sharing even scrap paper. Continue this activity with other items, like appliances, can really reduce waste. When someone gives another an item that would otherwise have ended up in the trash, it saves the Earth twice as much.
There are so many ways to restore but the best is adopting a tree. This can be done is many ways but starting with a small tree to grow helps the environment, brings restoration awareness and roots a foundation for others to perform this activity. This can be done year after year until a small forest has been started by the local community. Starting from a seed has its own challenges and demonstrates how difficult restoration can be.
Founder of Freelance Science Writing
Adapted from Original Publication seen here on examiner.com
- The Three R’s (typing4trees.wordpress.com)
- 3R’s- Reduce, Reuse, Recycle (4j2012.wordpress.com)
- RecycleBank: Be Eco-Friendly and Earn Rewards! (savings.com)